Thursday, July 8, 2010

Maiden voyage




This past month has been really busy. We've been preparing for a trip to Mexico since last year and because we don't travel much and have never been out of the country there was a lot of stuff to acquire and ends to tie up.

Passports, snorkeling items, luggage, arrangements for dog boarding and having to change their diet a month before boarding because no one will accommodate raw feeders. Then throw in car issues with an end result of Brian and I both purchasing new vehicles...we were up to our necks in obligations and grudge purchases.

So, this trip became something of a dreaded voyage rather than a trip to be enjoyed and a time to unwind. We were also traveling with friends, who were gracious enough to offer a room in their timeshare condo. We later learned the perils of traveling with friends, but we enjoyed the trip nonetheless. I don't mean to seem like we didn't have a good time. Mexico was really awesome. The condo was beautiful, the weather was beautiful, we did a ton of cool shit, and I really can't complain about anything. Here are some photos!

Condos on the resort...We were staying one hour south of Cancun, in Quintana Roo






The condo balcony was bigger than our living room, and it overlooked the pool



One of my personal favorites....lizards everywhere! They liked to eat bananas.



We went to a neat eco-park called Xcaret (Ish-caret). Most of it was just hiking on paths through jungles, with featured areas, like orchids, butterflies, caves with bats, and marine life exhibits.

Orchid enclosure


This is where the orchid babies live...



Jungle paths..








When we did the river ride we would go through caves. All I could think of was the part in Charlie and the chocolate factory...

Round the world and home again

That's the sailor's way

Faster faster, faster faster

There's no earthly way of knowing

Which direction we are going










Turistas! we're loud and we're proud




The resort had dolphins. Which Brian and I felt really bad for. Espescially after seeing that film "The Cove"
They were sectioned off in a harbor area and weren't confied in cement tanks but it still felt strange. All of the restaurants overlooked the dolphin areas so every morning we ate breakfast and watched people pay $100 to swim with them. I don't think I would choose a resort with a dolphinarium the next time we travel. I have moral objections to it. I don't really care if that sounds pompus, it's how I feel.

There were babies that had been born that week. They looked like little tunas swimming next to their mother.




And that's a summary of our maiden voyage out of the US. Now that we have passports we hope to travel all over the place. I'm looking at Puerto Rico next. I had a lot of fun snorkeling and want to do that again! After seeing the water down there and snorkeling I don't know if I can ever enjoy an East Coast beach ever again.

3 comments:

  1. is it raining
    is it snowing
    is a hurricane a'blowing...

    Congrats on your first trip out of the US! Doesn't it feel so good to get away and explore another country? Once you get your passports, it's like the door is wide open.

    If you ever decide to go to Mexico again, I think you and Brian would really enjoy Holbox. It's a small island in the Yucatan Peninsula about 2 hours North of Cancun. There are hardly any cars on the island and most of the people there are locals.

    That river ride looks like it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool, congrats on getting out of the US! I hope you guys had a fantastic time and I love the pics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It was wonderful to get out of the states for the first time. I do feel like the door is wide open now. Thanks for the suggestion! I have never heard of Holbox. I also feel like visiting another country made me appreciate this country a little more.

    ReplyDelete